Moscow State University is a public research university located in the heart of Moscow, Russia. Established on the 23rd, January 1755 with over 47000 students, comprising of 40000 undergraduate,7000 graduates and over 5000 academic staff.
Moscow state university can be easily identified by its blue colour identity. It won’t be wrong to say that Moscow University is the oldest university in Russia. MSU is known for its impressive and outstanding building structures, the school has the tallest educational building in the world. Moscow state university is not just the oldest university in Russia, it is one of the most prestigious universities in Russia.
The university strives to produce students who will create new discoveries and push further at the frontiers of knowledge. Moscow state university is presided over by a Rector, Viktor AntonovichSadovnichy.
The school has an enviable and long-standing record of academic excellence, MSU has produced several distinguished and exceptional alumnus, among its graduates are professors, Nobel Prize winners and a claimed scientist.
Research is one major tool of knowledge in MSU, the school has quite a number of research institutes that specializes in several significant areas of modern sciences such as; Ecology, humanitarian sciences, molecular biology, mechanics, nuclear physics, Astronomy, lasers and several others.
Read also:University Of Nicosia, Cyprus
MSU also opens its arms widely to students from other countries all over the world. Moscow state university is made up of 30 faculties.
- Faculty of Mechanics and Mathematics
- Faculty of Computational Maths and Cybernetics
- Faculty of Physics
- Faculty of Chemistry
- Faculty of Material Science
- Faculty of Biology
- Faculty of Bioengineering and Bioinformatics
- Faculty of Soul Science
- Faculty of Geology
- Faculty of Geography
- Faculty of Fundamental Medicine
- Faculty of Physical and Chemical Engineering
- Faculty of History
- Faculty of Philology
- Faculty of Philosophy
- Faculty of Economics
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Journalism
- Faculty of Psychology
- The institute of Asian and African Studies
- Faculty of Sociology
- Faculty of Foreign Languages and Area Studies
- Faculty of Public Administration
- Faculty of World Politics
- Faculty of Fine and Performing Arts
- Faculty of Global Studies
- Faculty of Educational Studies
- Faculty of Political Science
- School of Business Administration
- Moscow School of Economics
- Graduate School of Public Administration
- School of State Audit
- School of Translation and Interpretation
- Graduate School of Management and Innovation
- Graduate School of Contemporary Social Sciences
- School of Television
- Higher School of Policy in Culture and Management in the sphere of humanity
- Preparatory School
MSU also have several institute and research centres such as;
- Research Institute of Mechanics
- Institute of Theoretical and Mathematical Physics
- Institute of Russian Language and Culture
- ScobelstynNuclear Physics Research Institute
- ShternbergState Institute of Astronomy
- BelozerskyResearch Institute of Physics Chemical Biology
- BogolubovInstitute of Microworld
- Computational Research Centre
- International Laser Centre
Moscow state university has branch campuses in Sebastopol, Kazakhstan, Tashkent, Baku, Dushanbe and Yerevan.
Moscow state university is ranked as one of the best universities in Russia and the world as a whole. The 2018 QS world university rankings ranked Moscow State University as the highest and top ranking Russian higher institution, likewise the most prestigious university in Russia.
It was ranked by Academic Ranking of World Universities(ARWU) in 2016 as the 87th university in the world, it was also ranked by Times Higher Education World University in2016 as the 161st, in 2013 it was ranked as the 201-225th top university in the world
Forbes in 2010 ranked MSU as the 6thuniversity in Russia, while according to Interfax, it is the first university in Russia. These rankings further reveal MSU strong reputation in Russia and the world.
MSU offers bachelor‘s degree programmes, duration of four years and 240 credits, Master’s degree programme, duration of 2 years and 120 credits and a specialist degree which lasts for 6 years and a total of 360 credits.
Read also: How to study Nursing in Russia
Moscow state university is based strictly on the 5 point scale grading system which is the most prevalent grading system in Russia.
English Language Proficiency
The major language of teaching in MSU is Russian, this is especially true for all bachelor’s degree courses. However, MSU accepts The International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Prospective students will have to check with their faculty for the precise English language requirements for their course.
Applicants seeking admission into MSU must have a good knowledge of Russian, however, students who do not have a knowledge of Russian can take preparatory Russian language courses at the Moscow State University Institute of Russian language and culture.
Application process and deadlines
Prospective students who wish to study in MSU must have the following documents
- Application form
- High school diploma or School leaving certificate notarized and translate into Russian
- Medical certificate consented by medical establishments
- Negative AIDS test result issued in one of MSU hospitals.
- Statement of results
- Official copy of academic transcripts notarized and translated into Russian
- Passport with visa and migration card
- Six 3 by 4cm photographs
Applicants will also have to take two entrance examinations, the first examination will be taken to test your knowledge of Russian language while the second examination will be based on the field of study. Applicants are therefore advised to contact the faculty International office for detailed information such as the requirements and dates for the examination, necessary papers to be submitted for admission and visa, educational programs and other information.
Semesters in MSU commences in September 1st and February 10th every year.
Applicants for master’s program will also, be required to submit the above-listed documents for undergraduates and in addition, a document of the previous degree ( bachelor’s degree or it’sequivalent) notarized and translated into Russian.
Moscow State University tuition fees vary according to faculty, the tuition ranges from 325,000 rubles (the equivalent of USD 4,800) per academic year to 385,000 rubles ( the equivalent of USD 5,660) your course of study is the determinants of your tuition fees.
New students may incur additional costs, the additional costs include;
Medical Insurance cost USD 150 per semester
Monthly public transportation passes cost USD 30 per month
General preparation course for undergraduates and postgraduate students at the University Centre for International education for 2 semesters ( September to June) cost USD 5000 per year
The school does not provide scholarship to students but students can apply for external scholarships.
The school provides accommodation for students at an affordable price.