The university of Cyprus is a state owned research university established in the year 1989. UCY is located in Nicosia, the capital city of Cyprus. The university of Cyprus is home to over 7000 undergraduate students, the school is known for its yellow colour identity, it offers both undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.
Teaching in the university of Cyprus is done mainly in Greek and Turkish, the university is also known for the educational opportunities it gives to those with special needs, it reserves some positions to the handicapped and those with special needs.
The school has 6 faculties and 2 schools
Faculty of Humanities: the faculty of humanity is made up of four departments
- Department of English studies
- Department of French and European Studies
- Department of Turkish and Middle Eastern studies and language centre
Faculty of pure and Applied Science:
- Department of Biological sciences
- Department of mathematics and statistics
- Department of Computer science
- Department of Physics
- Department of Chemistry
- Molecular medicine research centre and oceanography centre
The Faculty of Social Sciences and Education:
- Department of Education
- Department of Social and Political Science
- Department of Law
- Department of Psychology
- Centre for Applied Neuroscience
Faculty of Economics and Management
- Department of Business and Public Administration
- Department of Account and Finance
- Department of Economics
- Centre for banking and Financial Research
- Economics Research Centre
Faculty of Engineering
- Department of Architecture
- Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Department of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
- Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- FOSS research centre for sustainable energy
- EMPHASIS research centre
- KIOS Research and Innovation centre for excellence
- Nireas International water research centre
Faculty of Letters
- Department of Byzantine and modern Greek studies
- School of modern Greek
- Department of History and Archaeology
- Archaeological research unit
- Department of classics and philosophy
University of Cyprus has had several rankings and awards for its meaningful contribution to education and research . The university is globally ranked by The Academic Ranking of World Universities ARWU 2019 as the top 601 – 700 University in the world, it was also ranked by The Times Higher Education World University rankings in 2017 as the top 351 – 400 university, in 2018 it was ranked as top 401 –500 university and in 2019 it was ranked as the top 351 – 400 university in the world.
These rankings were done based on the research performance of the school, also according to the Webometrics rankings of World universities, Cyprus university is ranked as the 696th university in the world and 304th university in Europe.
University of Cyprus is widely recognized for its programme of studies which is based on the ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System)grading scales. This system is used to compare the volume of learning and their relate workload.
One academic year is equivalent to 60 ECTS credits which totals 1500 – 1800 hours each academic year. The ECTS is a collective grading system employed by European higher education institutions to facilitate easy transfer of students and grades between higher education institutions in Europe
A total of 240 credits is necessary to be an undergraduate.
Most courses offered in the university of Cyprus is taught in Greek and Trurkish, hence, proficiency in English is not a prerequisite. Local and international students who wish to apply to the university must posses a good knowledge of Greek language.
Application Process and Deadline
Application into university of Cyprus is by entrance examinations organized by the Ministry of Education and Culture of the Republic of Cyprus. The University of Cyprus had two semesters in each academic year; the fall semester ( which is unusually September – December) and Spring Semester ( January – May).
Application process for Turkish Cypriot Students and EU students
- A six year high school leaving certificate is required from a high school in the northern part of Cyprus.
- A personal interview may also be required, this will be determined by the department
- A written or oral examination may also be taken, at the discretion of the department.
Application process for non EU students
- Applicants must be a graduate of a high school recognized by their country’s education authority.
- Applicants should also have a good knowledge of Greek language .
- International Baccalaureate, GCE/ GCSE examination or its equivalent . Applicants who didn’t do these examinations can be admitted based on the results of special examinations conducted by the university.
All application documents must be submitted to the academic affairs and student welfare service on or before the 30th of April of the applying year.
Applications for postgraduate programmes are announced first week of January while the academic year begins early September, applications are submitted electronically.
Every department announce vacant positions for masters and doctoral students at the end of each semester. Students cannot apply until the approved number of positions have been announced
Intending postgraduate students may consult the website for more information.http://ucy.ac.cy/graduateschool/en/admissions/applications-forms
Visa and Entry Permit
All non European Students who wish to study at the university of Cyprus is required to have a Visa/entry permit. Prospective student can visit the International support office website for more information. http://ucy.ac.cy/internationalsupport/visa-information/students
Tuition for Cypriot and European Union Students
The tuition fee is 3,417 Euro per academic year. Tuition for international students and non European Union students is 6,834 Euro per academic year.
All admitted students can apply for accommodation at the housing office in the Academic affairs and student welfare service. There are also private apartments for students who wish to live off-campus.
Students can get application forms and more information by contacting the housing office through the email address; email@example.com
The motto of University of Cyprus is knowledge, Research and Innovation, this is reflected in the school’s mission which further reiterates its commitment towards research, contributing to knowledge and teaching within the framework of academic freedom. Research is a major tool of learning in the University of Cyprus as clearly stated in its mission.