What is a Software Engineer?
I’m not an expert on the subject, but from what I can gather, a software engineer is the person in charge of building the software for a company or department. The other roles are programmer, lead developer and project manager.
Requirements to become a Software Engineer.
There is no specific degree for Software Engineers. There are degrees that are related and accepted by plenty of companies, but you don’t need a degree to be a Software Engineer.
Some of the degrees that may be accepted include:
- Computer Science Degree (BSc)
- Computer Engineering Degree (BSc) – Any science or engineering undergraduate degree (BSc) – Mathematics Degree (BSc)
- Engineering Degree (BEng)
- Physics Degree (BSc).
Daily duties of a Software Engineer.
The primary role of a software engineer is to create, design, and test software. They are responsible for analyzing user needs, designing and constructing the code that will eventually become the software for a variety of purposes.
In addition to building the code, software engineers may also be involved in overseeing the development of software from initial design to final testing.
Average salary of a Software Engineer.
The average software engineer salary depends on a number of factors, including years of experience, location, company and industry. Payscale.com says that the average software engineer salary in the United States is $111,809, with a range usually between $100,835-$123,926. The BLS reports that software engineers made a median salary of $107,510 in 2018.
Overall there are many factors to consider when determining your potential salary as a software engineer. So how do these numbers change based on your education?
List of Universities that offer Software Engineering programs.
There are many universities and colleges that offer software engineering programs. Some of the best in the country include:
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Cornell University
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Stanford University
Having a degree isn’t necessary to be a software engineer, but having one is probably the easiest way in.
Software engineers are responsible for designing and implementing software solutions in a variety of industries. They write the code that powers websites and applications—everything from the backend infrastructure to the visual interface that you see when you log in to Instagram.
According to Glassdoor, software engineers have a median base salary of $97,000 within their first 5 years on the job (though it is important to note that this number can vary widely depending on where you live). For comparison, according to CNBC, average student loan debt is about $35,000 for public colleges/universities and about $50,000 for private ones (so over four years of college). That means if you get a software engineering job straight out of school, your loans would be paid off after less than two years.
Pros of becoming a Software Engineer?
Demand for software engineers is very high.
Software engineering has been a growing field for decades. As businesses and governments become increasingly reliant on technology, demand for software engineers continues to grow.
Software Engineering is especially strong in the United States. This high demand is expected to continue for many years. Software Engineers are also in high demand across the globe. There are many different types of software engineers and all of them are in demand right now.
Software engineering work is interesting.
One of the benefits of being a software engineer is that you can work on different projects with different technologies. This is a great way to keep your skills fresh and gives you opportunities to learn new things. You will also get to work with a wide variety of people including other software engineers, product managers, designers, QA testers and customer support reps. Each one will have their own unique perspective which means you’ll be getting input from many different sources.
As far as problems go, there are many interesting ones that need solving in this world so not only will working for a company keep them engaged but it also has the benefit of helping society at large. It’s not just about making money either; it’s about doing something meaningful for humanity.
Additionally, there are lots of opportunities to work abroad so if traveling interests you then this career path could be perfect!
There are many different specializations in the field of software engineering.
In general, software engineers are responsible for all of the technical aspects of building and maintaining a software system. There are many different specializations in the field of software engineering, including front-end, back-end, mobile development, cloud engineering and more. You can choose to specialize in one area or learn about many different technologies.
Software engineers work with a team in an agile environment that includes designers, product managers and other engineers. Ultimately what you’ll do depends on which team you’re on. For example, some teams focus on building products while others focus on infrastructure or internal tools aimed at creating more efficiency within the company.
Software engineers get to work with bleeding edge technology
Software Engineering is a constantly evolving field where new technology is always being developed. This causes Software Engineers to be in high demand, as they are the people that bring this new technology to life. They work with bleeding edge technology and help their companies stay ahead of the competition!
You can earn a lot of money as a software engineer and there are many opportunities to increase your salary quickly.
You can earn a lot of money as a software engineer and there are many opportunities to increase your salary quickly.
For example, the average salary for a software engineer in the US according to Glassdoor is $105,000 per year. The average salary for a software engineer in the UK according to Glassdoor is £53,000 per year. This is significantly more than most other jobs that require similar qualifications and levels of experience. Additionally, if you are willing to change jobs frequently then you can expect to receive regular increments with each new role you take on.
It is possible to earn a great deal of money as a software engineer without a college degree.
If you are able to learn all of the coding skills that you will need, it is possible to earn a great deal of money as a software engineer without a college degree. There are many bootcamps and online courses that can help you to learn software engineering. If you take one of these options, there is no reason that you should be held back from getting into this industry because you don’t have a degree yet. You will still be able to get an entry level position or start an internship within this field even if you aren’t going to college for it.
Many companies are willing to hire people who have the ability to write good code, but who don’t have a college degree since they know that these employees won’t cost them as much money in wages in the long run.
Software engineering salaries are stable, even during recessions.
Software engineering salaries have increased steadily over the years, and the average software engineer salary is now 6-7% higher than that of their non-technical colleagues. This means that
you’ll make more money, on average, as a software engineer than you would as a non-technical engineer. Additionally, while many other jobs tend to be cyclical and highly volatile during recessions,
software engineering salaries are stable even during recessions.
Software engineers have greater job security than other industries because their skills are more highly valued by employers.
- You’ll have more job security.
- The software engineering industry is booming and the demand for software engineers continues to outstrip supply. In the past five years, over a million jobs were created in technology, with only 400,000 graduates ready to fill that need.
- The software industry is less volatile than other industries because it’s typically harder to automate software development jobs—which means that demand for your skills tends to be higher than demand for skills in other industries.
Because demand for software engineers outstrips supply, there are many opportunities to work remotely or travel while working as a software engineer.
- Because demand for software engineers outstrips supply, there are many opportunities to work remotely or travel while working as a software engineer. For example, many companies offer travel opportunities to conferences, meet-ups and team bonding events. In addition, if you enjoy traveling or living in places other than the city where your company is based, you can often find a job that will allow you to do this. Amazon hires remote workers and allows employees to move between offices once every two years. Other companies hire people as contractors so they can live wherever they want and work on their own schedule.
- Working as a software engineer does not mean sitting in front of a screen from 9am-5pm—you have choices about how long you work and when you take breaks. For example, GitHub offers unlimited time off (as long as projects continue moving forward), with an open vacation policy that encourages employees to take time off whenever they need it.
Related Post:List of Top Real Estate MBA Programs
Salaries for software engineers are significantly higher than average in every state in the USA.
I’ve heard all of the arguments about why a software engineer should want to become an accountant. They’re basically identical: “Once you get your accounting degree from XYZ University, you’ll go on to make $50,000 per year as an accountant.”
I think that’s silly.
There are lots more factors at play than simply getting a degree and entering the job market.
Just look at these numbers I compiled for you:
The field of software engineering offers many benefits for people who want to make an impact working with cutting edge technologies and have flexible career opportunities and rewards
A major advantage for software engineers is that they can work on projects that are meaningful to them. Applications like Google Maps, Uber and Snapchat have become an indispensable part of our lives. Software Engineers were the people who designed and built these applications.
Software engineers are in high demand with more companies prioritizing their digital strategies and investing in software development across all industry sectors, from finance to medicine. The skills of a software engineer are highly valued in the market. This means that there is a wide range of career opportunities as well as flexibility around location and type of organization they would like to work with.
Software engineers have the opportunity to work on projects that make an impact; whether it’s helping local businesses manage their finances better or changing the way doctors diagnose patients. Engineering teams bring diverse perspectives together to solve complex problems often in novel ways and surprising industries, allowing you to make a greater impact than you could alone
Pros of becoming a software engineer
Software engineers don’t have to worry about job security.
Most people don’t ever have to worry about job security, but software engineers really don’t. Companies are always looking for developers with experience in the latest technologies, and if you’re willing to learn a new language or framework, there’s really no limit to how much demand there is for your skill set. You’ll never have to worry about finding work!
You’ll also be earning a pretty hefty salary. In fact, the average software engineer earns more than twice as much as the national average salary in America. That’s right—more than twice as much! So even if you go out after work and blow it all on fancy dinners at restaurants, you still won’t rack up anything close to the amount of debt your friends will while they’re paying off their student loans!
Finally, software engineering is one of those rare jobs where you can do your entire job from home. Everyone else has to get up and drive into the office every morning (or take public transportation), but not software engineers! Imagine what an extra 30 minutes in bed would do for your productivity during your day…
Ability to Work Anywhere
One of the best things about being a software engineer is you can literally work from anywhere. It might sound like a cliche, but the global reach of the internet allows development teams to be distributed all over the world, with minimal impact on productivity.
Remote work and online collaboration are now commonplace among tech companies, especially startups that don’t have enough money to rent an office space or run a computer lab. Companies like Github, Basecamp and Gitlab allow their employees to work remotely. Some of them even went so far as to state in their handbook that working from an office is discouraged! It’s not just startups either: big companies like Apple and Google also have numerous telecommuters.
So where do you want to live? A big city? A small town in your home country? Or perhaps somewhere exotic abroad? The beauty of remote work is you can literally live anywhere as long as you have an internet connection! (Although many people choose to move abroad for this reason.)
You can build something that people use and enjoy.
- You can build something that people use and enjoy. Not only can you work on features or products that are used by people, but you can also make a positive impact on their lives. As I mentioned above, this was my motivation for going into software development.
- You can be creative. On any given day as a software developer, you may be solving a challenging problem, designing an elegant solution or creating something fun or beautiful for people to interact with. These opportunities allow you to let your imagination run wild!
- You can build products that make people’s lives better: Software engineers love to solve problems and create things (like I just mentioned in point #2). This means you have the opportunity to make people’s lives better by building products they actually need and want – it makes us feel good knowing we’re helping others!
Enjoy the freedom of working remotely.
- One of the biggest pros of becoming a software engineer is being able to choose how you want to work, in terms of location. Software engineers are not limited by physical offices; as long as they have a working internet connection, they can work anywhere in the world (or even in space if they so desire).
- Perhaps you are someone who wants to move back home, or to another country. As a software engineer, you will not need to worry about getting a work visa and finding an employer willing to sponsor you. As long as the company is located in your home country, or even remotely in a completely different area of the world, that’s more than enough for them to have you on board! This is especially true for newbies and junior developers who may be having trouble landing their first job.
- You also do not need to consider transportation when looking for jobs as a software engineer. If you live within commuting distance from your place of employment, more power to you! But if commuting means wasting hours stuck in traffic each day just trying to get from point A (your house) to point B (work), you can say goodbye forever!
The pros are great.
There are a lot of great reasons to become a software developer. Let’s look at three of the best reasons.
Reason one: you get to build something people will actually use. Software development is unlike many other careers in that it can be used globally, and is not geographically restrictive (you don’t have to be in New York or Los Angeles to write code). You might end up developing an app that ends up being used by people all over the world! That’s pretty exciting.
Related Post:Do Community Colleges Accept Everyone ?