Best Flight Schools in Australia


Australia is one of the most beautiful countries in the world. Its temperate climate, great beaches, and vibrant cities make it a popular destination for both tourists and expats. If you’re thinking about moving to Australia or just planning a vacation, consider enrolling in a flight school! Here’s our list of the best flight schools in Australia:

Flight Training Adelaide (FTA)

Flight Training Adelaide (FTA) is a flight school based in Adelaide, South Australia. FTA has been training pilots since 1978 and is a member of the Australian Federation of Air Pilots (AFAP). The school’s fleet comprises over 30 aircraft, including single-engine Cessna 172s and Piper PA-28 Cherokees.

With an FAA-approved Part 141 aeronautical university program and outstanding safety record, FTA offers comprehensive training for students who want to become professional pilots or further their careers as private pilots.

Australian Pilot Academy (APA)

Australian Pilot Academy is located in Melbourne, Australia. The school has been teaching students for over 50 years and is a member of the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA). APA offers training programs for recreational pilots as well as professional pilots looking to earn their license in Australia.

Melbourne Flight Training

Melbourne Flight Training is a flight school based in Melbourne. They provide flight training in a wide range of aircraft, including the Cessna 172 and Piper Cherokee PA-28.

Their main office is located at Essendon Airport and they have additional bases at Moorabbin, Laverton and Avalon airports.

They are also members of the Australian Federation of Air Pilots (AFAP)

Related Post:What Are The Best Student Loan Options?

International Aviation College Australia (IACA)

International Aviation College Australia (IACA) is a flight school located in Sydney, with the aim of providing high-quality training services to students. IACA offers training for private pilot, commercial pilot, and instructor ratings. The school is also a member of the Australian Federation of Air Pilots (AFAP), an organization that represents pilots across Australia. Additionally, IACA is a member of the Australian Council of Trade Unions (ACTU), which focuses on improving working conditions for employees of member organizations.

Southern Cross Flight Training

Southern Cross Flight Training is located at the Melbourne Airport. It provides for flight training and aircraft maintenance services, as well as air charter services.

READ This:  Veterinary Nurse Salary: Requirements and Career

The facility offers introductory flights, solo flights, and advanced ratings such as instrument rating and commercial pilot license. The prices vary depending on the course selected. The introductory flights cost $1195 per hour while solo training costs $1400 per hour. Instrument ratings start from $2190 while a private pilot license will cost you around $10 000 (excluding exams fees).

Southern Cross Flight Training can be contacted at 03-9334 1233 or through their website

East Coast Aero Club

East Coast Aero Club is located in a rural area of New South Wales, Australia. They offer basic and advanced flight training for private pilots, as well as commercial pilot training for those who want to fly planes for a living. They are accredited by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) and affiliated with East Coast Flight Training School (ECFTS).

They have trained over 3,000 pilots since they opened their doors in 1997. They offer both fixed wing aircraft and helicopters depending on your training needs.

Related Post: Rowan University Ranking: Requirements and how to Apply

The above list gives you information on the best flight schools in Australia.

The above list gives you information on the best flight schools in Australia. This list is based on reviews of flight schools, quality of training and instructors, facilities, customer service and more.

How to become a Pilot in Australia

Get your Recreational Pilot License (RPL)

The first step to becoming a pilot is to get your Recreational Pilot License, which will allow you to fly without an instructor. You need to be 16 years old and have a medical certificate. You also need to have completed 80 hours of supervised flight training as well as having started studying for your theory test. These can be done at any time and don’t necessarily have to be completed before the next step (the flight test), but it’s recommended that they are done on the same day as each other so that there’s no waiting around for results or authorizations.

Get your Private Pilot License (PPL)

Once you’ve completed your Private Pilot License, you can apply for a Commercial Pilot License (CPL). To do this, you will need to have gained a minimum of 500 hours of flying time as well as have passed an approved flight test. Once you’ve done this, there are many opportunities available to pilots who want to keep going. For example:

  • You could apply for an Airline Transport Pilot Licence (ATPL) which allows pilots to fly larger aircrafts such as commercial planes and jumbo jets.
  • If you want to become a bush pilot in Australia or work on charter flights, then it’s worth considering getting an Airline Transport Pilot Licence with Instrument Rating (ATPL). This involves gaining another 1,000 hours of flying time plus passing three exams at the end of your training course.
READ This:  Firefighter Paramedic Salary: Requirements and Job Prospects

Get your Instrument Rating

You need to complete an instrument rating to be able to fly a multi-engine plane. A multi-engine plane has two or more engines.

To get your instrument rating, you will have to pass an exam and have at least 20 hours of flight time during which you flew by instruments. This means that you flew without being able to see the ground through the plane’s windows or cockpit windows. You can only do this on cloudy days and at night when there is no sun or moonlight outside. You must also have completed 120 hours of flight training with an instructor and 50 hours solo before taking the test for your instrument rating in Australia

Get your Commercial Pilots License (CPL)

If you’re serious about becoming a pilot, your next step is to get your Commercial Pilots License (CPL). This will allow you to fly for reward. The first step towards getting this license is completing a multi-engine rating and commercial pilot course. You can do this by enrolling in one of the approved courses run by an accredited training organization or flight school, or through self-study using approved materials.

Once you’ve completed these requirements, it’s time for your next challenge: passing a commercial pilot checkride with flying skills test examiner who is qualified to conduct them. To do so, you’ll need at least 200 hours’ total flight time as well as 120 hours’ cross-country time in command and 30 hours instrument flight time. You’ll also need an aeronautical navigation logbook that has been endorsed by an authorized person or body under subregulation (1) or regulation 804AO of CASR Part 61 which outlines how logbooks should be maintained throughout your flying career

Win the Cadetship for Regional Express (REX) Airlines

To apply for a cadetship with REX, you’ll need to:

  • Apply online. The application period is open from December to February every year. Visit to apply now, or keep reading to learn more about what’s involved in the process and how it works!
  • Have your academic transcripts sent directly from your high school or university. This is necessary for the selection panel members who will review your application before deciding whether or not you’re eligible for the program—so make sure it’s done correctly!
  • Provide two references from someone who has known you for at least three months (e.g., friends, teachers). Each reference must write a letter stating their opinion about your ability as an applicant; remember that this person is giving an honest assessment of yourself so make sure they can back up their claims with specific examples if possible!
READ This:  Systems Engineer Salary: Admission, Universities and FAQs

Once these steps are completed successfully and submitted along with everything else required by REX Airlines’ website (such as citizenship status), then wait patiently until after February when all applicants are notified whether or not they’ve been selected as one of this year’s cadet trainees!

Become a First Officer for Regional Express Airlines

The first step to becoming a pilot with Regional Express Airlines is to contact the airline directly. The company has hiring open positions for pilots in Australia, New Zealand and Indonesia. Each position will have its own requirements for how many years of experience you need, what qualifications you need to have, etc., so it’s important to be sure that you contact Regional Express Airlines directly and ask them about their specific requirements when applying for flight school or looking at other opportunities within the company.

Become a Captain for Regional Express Airlines

To become a Captain for Regional Express Airlines, you need to have a minimum of 3000 hours as a First Officer.

You also need to have 1000 hours as a Captain and must have flown at least 1000 hours on Beechcraft 1900D aircraft.

To become a pilot you need to follow these steps.

To become a pilot you need to follow these steps:

  • Complete a University degree in Aviation Studies or an aviation-related subject and then apply for the RAAF reserves.
  • You will then get basic training with the RAAF and will be given some flying experience.
  • You can also do this through civilian flight training companies, but if you want to join the Air Force it’s better to go through them first because they know what they’re looking for in recruits.

Related Post:Software Developer Internship (Comprehensive List)


We hope this list of flight schools in Australia has been helpful to you. We’re sure that whichever school you choose, your experience will be an unforgettable one!

Leave a Reply

Back to top button